What is meant by student exchange?
What procedure should be followed to make an exchange?
- be a regular student
- have completed a minimum of 2 years of their career
- satisfactorily handle the language of the destination country
Then you must have a clear idea of the plan of subjects that you want to study at the destination university, which is done in conjunction with the Career Coordinator and / or the corresponding School Management.
Besides, the student must consider the costs involved in the exchange and evaluate if he can finance it with private means (self-financing) or if he needs to apply for a scholarship. A semester abroad involves costs for:
- the processing of the passport and the visa.
- the round trip transfer to the destination city.
- medical insurance.
- accommodation and meals during the stay
- other necessary expenses during the stay.
When applying for a scholarship or a university, a study agreement will be established with the subjects that the student will enroll, which must be signed by the student's Career Coordinator.
With which foreign universities does the University of La Serena have an agreement?
- Hochschule München
- Technische Universität Dresden
- Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- RWTH Aachen University, Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen (New)
- National University of the Center of the Province of Buenos Aires
- National University of Tucumán
- National University of San Luis
- National University of Cordoba
- University of Canberra
- Institut des Hautes Etudes des Communications Sociales (IHECS) Brussels
- Higher School of Agriculture "Luiz de Queiroz" of the University of Sao Paulo
- Faculty of Education of the University of Sao Paulo (New)
- University of Regina
- University of Pamplona
- Catholic University of Manizales
- University of Antioquia, National University of Colombia
- University of Bucaramanga
- Industrial University of Santander
- University of La Costa
- University of Aalborg
- Universidad de Valencia
- Malaga University
- University of Murcia
- University of Alcalá
- Polytechnic University of Madrid
- Turku University of Applied Sciences
- Autonomous University of Baja California
- University of Sonora
- University of Colima
- University of Monterrey
- University of Guanajuato (New)
- Catholic University of Santa Maria
- Catholic University Los Angeles Chimbote
- University of Palacký, Olomouc
In addition to these universities, some universities abroad accept students who wish to study a semester without an agreement.
For more information, the interested party should contact the International Relations Office.
Scholarship programs and requirements for an exchange
- Iberoamerica Scholarships Bachelor students. (Santander Universities, open to all races of the last two years of the race). The process of application and selection is carried out by the University of La Serena. Call in April / May of each year.
- International Mobility Scholarships (Santander Universities, open to all careers, aimed at students of the last two years of career). The application and selection process is carried out at the University of La Serena. Call in July / August of each year.
- Semester Scholarship Abroad (exclusive for students of Pedagogy in English).
This scholarship is offered by the Ministry of Education through Scholarships Chile. The students apply directly, the ULS only undertakes to process acceptance letters. Call in May of each year.
- Scholarships for the Student and Academic Mobility Platform of the Pacific Alliance (open to certain careers in areas conforming to the objectives of the Pacific Alliance, requirement to have completed a minimum of 2 career years and have a minimum average of 5). The application and selection process is carried out by the Agency for International Cooperation for Development (AGCID). The ULS processes the acceptance letters and supports the students in the application. Call from August to November of each year.
The Office of International Relations is responsible for the wide dissemination of the calls for the programs mentioned above, through mass emails to institutional emails (alumnosuls.cl), information screens and social networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Scholarships for Winter Courses, DAAD, Germany
This partial scholarship modality offers Chilean students enrolled in a Chilean university (Undergraduate, Master or Doctorate) the possibility of taking a German language and civilization course in a higher education center in Germany for a duration of up to six weeks.
The program is aimed at students of all disciplines who certify an intermediate level of German (B1 - Zertifikat Deutsch) and who want to improve their language level with an intensive course in Germany. Candidates must be among the most advanced / outstanding students in their respective careers.
The call for this scholarship opens at the beginning of July and closes in mid-August of every year.
The most popular requirements to apply for a scholarship abroad vary according to the type of scholarship and the purpose. In any case, good academic performance and knowledge of the language if you opt for non-Spanish-speaking countries are essential.
- Academic Excellence (Curriculum Report)
- Letter of motivation of the applicant, in which academic and personal objectives are exposed
- Letter of recommendation from a professor with which the applicant has completed at least one course
- In some programs: proof of having already been accepted by the university where you wish to study for the internship period
- Iberoamerica Scholarships Young Professors and Researchers. (Santander Universities, open to academics and / or researchers with a valid ULS contract). The process of application and selection is carried out by the University of La Serena. Call in April / May of each year.
- Scholarships for Winter Courses, DAAD, Germany (see information above)
- Research grants - Doctorates in Germany
The DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service - offers Postgraduate Scholarships for both short-term and long-term research stays and for PhDs in Germany.
The ULS does not manage scholarship programs to pursue a Postgraduate degree at a foreign university, for which the interested party must independently manage the application by consulting the study programs offered by the different universities abroad. All information about Postgraduate scholarships for Chileans can be found at: www.becaschile.cl.